Friday, October 19, 2007

The Book Worm

I had the funniest experience with Maeve at the book store the other day. Normally I wouldn't even think of taking her into a book store, but I was needing to kill some time and thought their might be a kid play area. Many of you know that Maeve has an affinity for books. Mostly for eating them, but more recently for having them read to her. We have a bath tub version of One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish and Maeve laughs in delight every time I read that line. I dare say that the funny looking fish might have something to do with it.

Into the book store I go, searching for the kids section. I thought Maeve was having convulsions. I couldn't set her down fast enough. She wanted to pull all the books off the shelf and have a taste of each of them. I let her mouth one covered in plastic for a bit while I read a book myself to see if I might be able to tolerate reading it again, and again, and again...you get the picture. Reading time didn't last long though. She is getting more dexterous and deft (a little Seuss inspiration there) and was soon through the plastic and onto the book binding.

I picked her up and told her it was time to go. First I had to clean up all the books, the the stuffed animals that she pulled out and had strewn about her. As we left it was the first time that Maeve made herself known that she didn't like leaving. I'm sure there is more of that to come.

Have fun reading. If you're in need of some good kids books, try Frog and Toad or Gossie and Gertie.

No comments: