Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Underwater diving

Everything was moving along like normal tonight at swim class. After blowing bubbles in the water - which Maeve is becoming proficient at I thought we would move next to practicing jumping in....but I was wrong. Tonight we practiced going underwater.

I will admit that I probably would not have adventured here on my own, but thought there were some qualified folks around, they must know what they are doing, right??? I did look to see if the other parents were doing it first though. I didn't want to be the only crazy to do it.

We were told to blow into their faces just before putting them under water and then dunk them and pull them towards your body to keep water moving over their faces to decrease the amount of water they might pull in if they haven't closed their mouths. Maeve held her breath on cue and under she went. She came up and was a bit confused and whined a bit about it, but then was fine. So we tried one more time. This time she didn't close her eyes or mouth and I think took on some water. She did cry after that dunk. I guess we'll be trying it again at some other class. Who knows, maybe Maeve will be swimming underwater soon!

2 comments:

Megan said...

How often do you have swimming? She is going to be a little fish! You will have to come to Cambridge and our pool next summer to splash around. She will be running at that point---oh my goodness.

Debbie - Maeve's mama said...

We swim once a week at the local elementary pool. We'll be doing that until mid December. I was hoping that I would get her and keep her familiar with the water so that next summer she wouldn't be afraid. Now knowing her better, I'm not sure it would have been and issue!