Tuesday, December 11, 2007

A Mother's Dream

Only a mother could really appreciate what I'm about to write.

Tonight I took a page from my friend Hannah's notebook. I am in constant admiration that Hannah can get her children to eat almost anything, and always green things. Anabelle chanted with Mark once, "we love kale." I have also witness Silas eating asparagus end over end, kind of like a chain smoker, but not. It's truly amazing. Hannah tells me she just kept trying and of course hid things in other likable foods.

This afternoon on a mission to have her eat carrots, I mushed them up in her favorite yogurt, cottage cheese mix (a page I took from Helen's notebook). Little did she know that her favorite little snack would become the vehicle for goodness.

Then this evening it was like an angel had come down from above and taken over my child. I serve broccoli to her for the first time in many months. The initial trial got spit back out at me and I didn't try again because those darn little florets are hard to pick out of your hair. Anyway, following Hannah's lead, I put some butter the broccoli then poured some Bragg's Amino Acids (taste like soy sauce) over the whole thing. Maeve was eating the broccoli hand over fist, no prompting was needed. I'm down with the little extra fat and salt if it means she gets the other nutrients. Who knows, maybe she'll peak back over the 10% when we go to the doctors office again.

I began a chant of my own, "broccoli is great, give me another plate." She thought this was pretty funny and kept eating. Hopefully it will stick with her and she'll do it again.

1 comment:

Mimi Susan said...

Maybe Grandma Healy should have tried that on Pop-Pop John. We all know his love of vegetables.

Mimi Susan