Sunday, December 9, 2007

Sleeping baby

I want someone to explain to me the formula, running car engine + baby = sleeping baby.

Early in Maeve's life I needed someone to explain this to me because apparently Maeve instillation of this formula in her little brain was a bit late. Remember the crying! Oi the crying! Now we fully appreciate this formula, have used it to our benefit on many occasion. What I need someone to explain to me now is how running car engine + baby + car stereo as loud as it will go AND a shaking car seat can still = sleeping baby.

Today on a quick trip out in the car, Maeve decided that our ride home was cutting it too close to her nap time. Go figure, she moves it around all the time, how could I know she was going to pick the ride home to kick it. I wanted her to stay awake until we got home so I could put her in her crib and actually think about getting something done (imagine that). First I started singing to her and reaching back and tickling her at all the stop lights. When I stopped any of those, her little lids would drop and her thumb went right into her mouth. Next when all those looked like they had failed, I turned the radio up, full blast, granted it was Gerrison Keillor. Possibly not the best choice to stimulate a child. As that began to fail I started shaking her car seat to keep her awake. The shaking had to register at least a 5.8 on the Richter scale. Despite all this, she fell asleep.

I just don't understand this. Especially because just last night all I had to do was turn over in bed, the sheets would wrinkle a bit and she was up like a Pop-Tart. I do not understand it one bit. If someone has an explanation let me know.

In the end, I hung out in the car reading a book with her while she slept for an hour. Good thing we both had down coats on...it was chilly today. At least I got some reading in.

No comments: