Thursday, May 29, 2008

Incredible headaches

I am guess this latest crazy behavior is from the Healy side. Mark has not shared with me that he did this as a child, perhaps Paul did, who knows. What I do know is that Uncle Brendan created headaches for himself and Maeve is following suit.

In efforts to express frustration as well as gain attention, Maeve has taken to slamming her head into things. Mostly her crib bars and occasionally the floor. It's horrible to watch and even worse to see the evidence of her actions displayed across her forehead like little hematoma islands. Sometimes she will hit her head so hard that she will grab her forehead and whimper from pain. I can't imagine this is good for her, especially in light of her recent concussion, but what am I to do. I'm going with Dr O'Hern's advice, the Healy kid family doc, "let him do it, his head is hard and eventually he will stop."

I'm praying my child has enough sense to figure out that she has control over this pain and will stop. Until then, I will stare at her forehead and try to make out an image from her Rorschach blood-blots.

1 comment:

wantaknit said...

"Little hematoma islands"
You are a good writer, Debbie.
Sorry that you have such painful subject matter - let's hope this is a short lived phase.
B