Sunday, March 16, 2008

Happy St. Patty's Day

For many, my family included, this day/weekend means "belly up to the bar." I know my sibs took part in that and well, my dad takes part in this regularly (love you dad). For my daughter who is not of drinking age yet, this meant belly down on the street trying to pick up candy with her mouth.

Here is the scene: St. Patty's Day parade, Madison, WI [read: low expectations]. Candy is being thrown to the masses (adjust your perceptions as needed) and the peasants are running to pick it up. Maeve didn't miss a beat. Due to the fact that her hands were imprisoned in her snowsuit, she resorted to the next best thing...belly down on the pavement, coaxing a piece of candy (which she doesn't even know the joy of yet) into her mouth. I did have a brief moment of thought, "I could pretend she is not mine!" The thought of all the winter's dirt being licked up by her tongue made me reach down for her. People around us soon began handing her candy - I think in hopes to avoid another embarrassing situation.

Well, Happy St. Patty's Day to you. Hope you had a good one!

No comments: