Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Channeling Aunt Megan

Lots of folks have said that Maeve reminds them of Megan, my sister. I've definitely seen some attributes that are Megan's, but now I think I may be seeing more and more things.

I'll begin in a cephalocaudal fashion (head down for you non medical folk).

Her head - Maeve's hair is red enough to elicit a comment about her hair color from just about everyone. I seem to remember everyone thinking Megan's hair was going to be strawberry-blond. Now look, she's some version of blond...what's the number on the bottle Megan?

Her nose - Maeve has recently figured out how to voluntarily move air through her nose. She likes to crunch up her nose and sniff in and out. Megan used to do the same thing. Megan's probably started from some wicked post-nasal drip, the poor kid, but we encouraged it so much it became her party trick.

Her nose again - Maeve has an obession with her thumb like no other. Recently she has started curling her index finger around her nose while she sucks away. It's been a long time, but I do remember Megan doing the same thing. Oh and the little button nose, that's like Megan's too.

When you bring a child into the world there is a little hope that you'll recreate yourself to some degree (replace yourself if you will). It appears that I have helped recreate Megan. Perhaps some day when I become an Aunt, I'll see some of my attributes in that little person.

The one thing I can hope for is Maeve not being just like her Aunt through the teen years. I already suffered that once, I don't think I need to do that again! Love you Megan!!!!!

2 comments:

Megan said...

1. This is professional blonde--lots of time and effort goes into this 'fro.
2. She definitely has my nose AND I do believe she has similar cheeks.
3. I was a doll/angel from the age of 14-18.
4. Maeve is obviously going to be an incredible woman!!!!


P.S. I have an experiment: I carry Maeve around in my arms and/or stroller the whole weekend you two are here and see if I get asked if I am a "teenage mother" from some "Cantabridgian," i.e. a Cambridge, MA resident.

Grandma Beth said...

Debbie don't give up hope that Maeve will have an obviously identifable attribute from her Ma.
That award winning smile is already mirrored from her Ma!

Megan, Maeve's already a contender for "doll/angel...incredible woman" and at only 8 and 1/2 months! "Let the Games Begin".