Monday, July 16, 2007

The Camping Trip, Part I: The Irony

Aaaughhh, the irony that Mark and I would get a little sleep by having Maeve in the car, in her carseat.

Do you remember the first 4 months of Maeve's experience with the car/carseat....not so good. The car/carseat would automatically induce panic mode. I thought my sister was going to have a coronary on one ride. The car wasn't even parked yet and Megan was pulling Maeve out of the carseat to stop the screaming. Then, poof!!! One day, the crying stopped. I had to pull over because I thought for sure she must have stopped breathing. Low and behold, Maeve found peace with the car/carseat.

Now apparently she has found even more peace. This weekend Mark, Maeve, Jake, Helen, Milo and I went camping in northern WI. Admittedly, our arrival was a bit crazy. We had to set up the tent at midnight in the pouring rain (the rain stopped the moment we were ready to climb into the tent). Maeve just got to hang out in the car during all of that though. We finally had our nest all set for the night, brought Maeve in, I thought I could nurse her and we would all settle down for a good night sleep. Instead, Maeve thought it would be fun to crawl around the tent and her parents for the next 2 hours. Finally, Mark took her back to the car, strapped her into her carseat and out she went. I think she was glad to have the element of newness removed so she could sleep.

You would think after 24 hours and more time to explore the tent that she could settle down for a good night sleep the second night....NO. Back into the car for some sleep. I think if we camp again, we might just have to pull the car up along the tent and let Maeve sleep in the car while mama and pa stretch out in the tent for some sleep.

Overall it was a good trip and I think we'll have to try it again. The Eisly family adventures in sleeping just get better and better.

Oh yeah - pictures, some really good ones coming up. I promise, I promise that I will be updating with pictures soon if I have to go get a card reader tomorrow myself!

No comments: