Sunday, August 26, 2007

Sunday at the gardens

Maeve and woke up today after a wonderful sleep (see the previous post) and decided to go visit our friends that live in Troy Gardens. It's an intentional community north of us. There are 30 families living there with the idea of community embedded in all that they do. There is also community gardens that folks that live there and others can farm, as well as a CSA (community supported agriculture). I think the best part though is the restored prairie.

My friend Lael and I walked through the trails that meander through the prairie for well over an hour. The tall grasses swaying in the wind and crickets jumping to get out of the way made me long for a good hike. I can't wait until Maeve is big enough to take on a small overnight backpacking trip. I carried most of our gear when Mark and I went camping a few years ago, so if he can just carry her, we'll be set.

The CSA was sad to see today. The damage after a long week of heavy rain was apparent. Very sad here in WI. So many of the small farms were hit hard by this last week of rain. Some of those farms estimating in the tens of thousands of dollars for damage. We'll be sure to hit up the Farmer's Market to offer whatever we can.

Well off to rest, tomorrow is another day.

No comments: