Thursday, September 20, 2007

Her first official word

For some time now Maeve has been babbling and often would say "ma mum ma mum" I just figured she was making noises that I wanted to attribute to her actual vocabulary. Turns out she has been saying my name. Today when I walked in during lunch and headed for the kitchen, Maeve definitely said "ma mum" to get my attention. I'm not sure where she got the British tones from, but we'll take it.

I'm sure Mark would love for his name to be next, but we decided today that she hasn't uttered any sounds similar to "Pa" just yet. I swear that when I'm home with her I talk about Pa all the time, but admittedly, Mark is home with her more. I guess Mark will start needed to make some plugs for himself.

And while we are on the topic of official words...where did all the comments go? While it's nice to keep writing and keep everyone updated, it's nice for me to know that you're actually out there reading. No comments is like being on a one-sided phone conversation. I know none of you are that shy, so get writing.

4 comments:

Helen S. said...

Congratulations, Maeve! And as her Canadian neighbour, I'd like to point out that perhaps she was mimicking my pronunciation of mum? Just a thought...

Megan said...

Woo hoo!! First words. I see Helen's point on the "mum" issue.

Mimi Susan said...

Very exciting to hear that! As I recall - your first words were Mama and when that didn't work, you said "Hon"

Grandma Beth said...

Maeve CONGRATS ON YOUR ACCOMPLISHMENT. Now you've got to work on PAAAAAAAAAAH.