Thursday, September 27, 2007

Sophie

Today Maeve and I went to Happy Bambino to get a present for a friend of Mark's that just had a baby. What to get, the store has so many cute little baby things? In reality I went for one purpose, to get a Sophie la Giraffe that is the rage of all the kids. If you've been checking out the sidelines of the blog, you would have noted that Maeve's Sophie la Giraffe (they are all named Sophie) has been missing now for some time. A rather sad loss as it was one of Maeve's favorites and a present from Jake, Helen and Milo. We have search hi and low for her. The Burley, the strollers, under the crib, in the hamper, behind the dresser...she is no where to be found. Not sure that Maeve really noticed one way or the other until today.

We found the Sophies and as I picked one up, Maeve's eyes lit up and she made a gleeful sound and lunged for her. Now I'll be honest, she could have had that reaction to just about any toy, but then again for those of you that witness her disdain for the snorkeling turtle, you'll know that Maeve doesn't jump for joy over any toy. I must admit I was just thankful she wasn't confused by the fact that it had appeared that Sophie cloned herself a few times over. I'm also glad I wasn't explaining why one of her favorite toys that has been missing for some time was now wrapped in a box at some store. That first pet (and loss of it) is going to be a hard one on this mama.

Well this won't come as a surprise to most of you, I'm a sucker. I bought two Sophies and busted one out of the box right in the store. Maeve was so happy to be chewing happily on Sophie's long legs again. She didn't much care that another Sophie was being gift wrapped right in front of her eyes.

We'll do our best to keep Sophie 2 safe.

2 comments:

Grandma Beth said...

Oh what a relief it is!

Helen S. said...

I know the feeling. It was a happy day when our Sophie #1 was retrieved from her grocery store odyssey. But hey, Maeve passed her first life test of How To Be A Zen Baby: Letting Go Of The Material Possessions You Love. Up next month is her second Zen test, and her family gets to practice too. I call this "Absolutely Nothng! Just What A Zen Baby Wants For Her Birthday." Heh, heh, heh...